Let’s face it, preparing food can be a difficult process. You have to keep your meats organized while also making sure your food doesn’t get contaminated. Because of this, you should look into a cutting board.
And in this guide, we'll show the best cutting board material for your food preparation needs. Each of them are made to help you get your food prepared and make high-quality meals for you and your family!
Our Top Recommendation For Best Cutting Boards
Last update on 2019-07-19 PST - Details
1. Virginia Boys Kitchen Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board - Best Wood Cutting Boards
- RICH CHOCOLATE HUE: When seasoned, the board carries an attractive dark brown shade, making it an attractive piece of home decor to go with its function. It makes the perfect gift for the holidays, weddings, bridal showers, anniversary, couple's housewarming parties, Mother's Day, or a best friend birthday. Or simply use it as your own presentation piece for tastefully presenting charcuterie, cheese platters, breads, pizzas, sushi and more to guests
- KNIFE-FRIENDLY SURFACE: The porous, soft straight grains of walnut wood make it an cutting surface that won't dull your knives. And with the expertly carved juice groove around one edge to catch runaway liquids, you can take care of all messy food prep carving meats, slicing fruits, chopping vegetables, dicing herbs, mincing and more while keeping a clean kitchen
- ARRIVES IN ALL NATURAL UNFINISHED AND CUSTOMIZABLE STATE - Each board arrives in its raw unseasoned form so you can use any preferred seasoning oil or finishing wax you like to get the board's rich dark color. This way, you regain control of what goes into your board and what ultimately comes into contact with your food
- LONG LASTING DURABILITY: Each board is made in the the USA with responsibly sourced, non endangered Black Walnut Wood and is kiln dried and carefully smoothed before finishing. You get a thick, sturdy and reversible block that won't warp, crack or splinter and will last you years if it's properly maintained
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: This board is backed by a 100% guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied with your product, you can receive your money back
Last update on 2019-07-19 PST - Details
First on our list is the Virginia Boys Kitchen Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board. It has a knife friendly surface, as the soft wood grains are designed not to interfere with your knives. For users wanting to obtain the best wood cutting board, this one is sold on Amazon at a price around $59.97.
One reason why this cutting board stands out is due to its increased durability. For example, each of the boards was created in the US with Black Walnut Wood. The wooden cutting board is also dried and is smothered before its finished. This makes it the best kind of cutting board that will last you up to 4+ years if maintained correctly.
For the experienced cooks out there, the Virginia Boys Kitchen is designed with your tastes in mind. Each of the boards is unseasoned, meaning that you can use any type of seasoning and have complete control over your board.
When seasoned, the Virginia Boys Kitchen Large Walnut Wood Cutting boards had an appealing brown shade. As a result, its an attractive piece of home decor that complements its function.
This makes it the best cutting board wood for the holidays, Mother’s Day presents, wedding gifts, or your friends’ birthday. Or you can use it as a presentation piece to help prepare pizza, sushi, cheese platters, beans, and much more to your friends.
On the other hand, there are some flaws that consumers pointed out with this cutting board. Some consumers complained that it was poorly smoothed and rough, making it harder for them to cut and prepare their meals. If this problem happens to you, don't hesitate to call for a replacement.
Still, the Virginia Boys Kitchen Large Walnut Wood Cutting board is one of the best wooden cutting boards available. When using it, you'll also notice that its smooth surface reduces the time it takes to prepare your food for at least 4 minutes. Buy it now if you want to make your food prepping life easier!
2. Ironwood Gourmet Charleston End Grain Prep Station
- 20 x 14 x 1.25-Inch
- Cost-effective material, end grain wood minimizes wear and tear on both cutlery and board
- Multi-functional board, serves as a prep station, cutting and serving board
- Easy to maintain and clean, simply wash with warm soapy water and air dry
- Made of acacia wood, known for its unique and natural contrasting patterns
Last update on 2019-07-19 PST - Details
Next Up, the Ironwood Gourmet Charleston End Grain Prep Station is a valuable addition to anyone's kitchen. Its end grain construction reduces the wear and tear on the board and the cutlery. For people who want to have the best wood for cutting board, Ironwood Gourmet doesn't fail to deliver.
With its interesting craftmanship and pattern, its Acacia wood is sturdy enough to complete multiple tasks in the kitchen. For instance, it acts as a cutting and serving board and a prep station. This makes it easier for cooks who just want a simple cutting board that will help them create high-quality meals for their friends and family.
Also, we like this cutting board because of its versatility. With a 20"x14"x1.25" dimension size, this board can handle almost anything that's sent its way. From preparing cocktails to a family feast to making simple sandwiches for your children, you won't have any issues getting your food ready using this board.
Since this board is made from natural wood, it requires some care to ensure its longevity. When you’re done washing it, use warm soapy water to wash the board off immediately. Once the board is washed, use a microfiber cloth and apply an extra layer of butcher’s block oil.
Remember, you’ll have to sand off the glue residue that comes with the wood. The manufacturers included the glue to ensure that the wooden material is safely locked together. Simply take off the rubber pads and the additional glue residue that’s on the cutting board’s surface.
You need to know what you’re getting before you buy your cutting board. One consumer stated that it has enough room to cut up with large 10” chef knives on the board.
This makes it easier for you to handle complex cooking projects while still being easy to use for daily food preparation. Because of this, its the best cutting board for knives due to its large space and ability to handle multiple knives in one setting.
3. OXO Good Grips Cutting and Carving Board- Best Plastic Cutting Board
- Soft, tapered handles make lifting Board easy
- Double sided use helps prevent cross contamination
- Durable, non-porous, odor-resistant polypropylene Boards
- Resists deep scratches and maintains sharp knives; 14.5" x 21"
Last update on 2019-07-19 PST - Details
Third on our list is the OXO Good Grips Cutting and Carving Board. The board helps servers do multiple options such as mincing, chopping, dicing, and chopping. You can use this board to help cut up pretty much anything. You can get this product on Amazon at a price around $24.95.
We like this cutting board because it's easy to use and transport. This cutting board has tapered handles which help the user pick up and carry their food. As a result, you'll find it easier to utilize your kitchen and keep your prep foods in one place.
Shoppers like this cutting board because of its functionality. They said that the board has extra small “feet” which is used to help pick up the board and move it around. For users wanting to have a reliable and useful plastic cutting board, the OXO Good Grips Cutting and Carving Board will fail to disappoint you.
There are some cutting boards that have holes for the food to fall through. But, this can be problematic as you can leave extra food residue in your kitchen. OXO made the conscious decision not to add holes in the cutting board, which makes your food better to present as it stays on your cutting board.
Some users felt skeptical when using this plastic cutting board. On some occasions, they stated that the plastic accidentally gets in contact with their food. To prevent this, place your food on another plate after cutting it so that it doesn’t get contaminated.
Overall, the OXO Good Grips Cutting and Carving Board is one of the best plastic cutting boards in the market. It’s clean, efficient, and has a lifespan of about 3+ years before needing to be replaced. Try it today!
4. SoulFino Bamboo Cutting Board - Best Bamboo Cutting Board
- 🔪 LIFETIME GUARANTEE, If you are unhappy for any reason at any time - just let us know and we'll either send you another cutting board or refund your money.
- 🔪 LESS MESS WITH EASY CLEANUP, With our extra deep groove, you will no longer have that juicy piece of meat making a mess all over your countertop.
- 🔪 NO MORE FOOD FALLING OFF THE EDGE OF THE BOARD, Our bamboo butcher block is not some tiny little piece of plastic that barely holds a tomato! At 17 inches long and 13 inches wide, our board will hold the largest piece of meat or a whole bunch of vegetables, keeping you organized and happy.
- 🔪 LESS BACTERIA MEANS A HEALTHIER FAMILY, Bamboo has a natural ability to fight bacteria. Our bamboo cutting boards are healthier for contact with foods than those made of plastic.
- 🔪 ULTIMATE CUTTING BOARD, With our handles, you can easily place your cutting board anywhere it needs to be, whether that is the counter, kitchen island, or on your table.
Last update on 2019-07-19 PST - Details
Are you tired of cutting boards that are hard to clean and stain easily? Then you should definitely look into the SoulFino Bamboo Cutting Board. The board is scratch resistant, hard, and has more durability than wooden boards. Buy this on Amazon at a price around $73.95.
With its 17 x 13 x 1.5 inch dimensions, the SoulFino Bamboo Cutting Board has enough space to operate on. For those wanting an antibacterial and eco-friendly wooden cutting board, one that has an aesthetic appearance and can help create a decorative kitchen or be used as a gift, then this is the best bamboo cutting board money can buy.
Since it's made out of bamboo, it's more environmentally safe and healthier than using wood cutting boards. Its bamboo material is lighter than most wood, but its dense enough to chop foods safely while its small enough to not create any knife damage.
Environmentalists pick bamboo cutting boards because they don't take up too much of the earth's resources. Unlike plastic cutting boards, it's a sustainable, biodegradable, renewable resources that don't need chemicals to be harvested or thrive. Bamboo can restore itself within 3-5 years.
Some consumers filed complained about the durability of its wooden surface. After about 2 months of usage, the wood would split in half. To prevent this issue, we suggest that you cut smoothly to prevent causing cracks on its board.
Mainly, the Soul Fino Bamboo Cutting Board is the best type of cutting board for chefs that want to help the environment. Not only is it bacteria resistant, but it will take less time cleaning up than wooden boards. So you should give it a look if you want a high-quality cutting board that can help you with your cooking tasks.
5. Pratico Kitchen Bamboo Cutting Board
- GREAT FOR FOOD SAFETY - High quality cutting board made from 100% premium bamboo with no added dyes or stains which is toxin-free and has natural anti-bacterial properties
- EXTRA LARGE & DURABLE - Measures 18 in x 12 in x 3/4 in and weighs 3.1 lbs providing space for heavy duty vegetable chopping, slicing fruits, and cutting meat. High quality bamboo resists knife scaring and warping
- GENTLE ON KNIVES - Bamboo is strong and dense as hardwoods, but unlike glass or plastic cutting boards, won't dull your kitchen knives
- VERSATILE & NO MESS - Large size and reversible makes for a great chopping board, cheese board, or epicurean cutting board. Large juice and drip groove keeps liquids on the board and not all over your counter
- EASY TO CLEAN & LIFETIME WARRANTY - Less work to clean than wood cutting boards simply wash with warm water and soap and air dry. Peace of mind with no-hassle lifetime warranty.
Last update on 2019-07-19 PST - Details
The Practico Kitchen Bamboo Cutting Board is designed to help chefs prepare their food and cleanup faster. It has a dimension size of 8 x 6 x 3/4 inches and is made of 100 bamboo. This makes it the best cutting board material for users who need something that’s easy on the knives. You can obtain this on Amazon at a price around $24.43.
The cutting board is great for small tasks that don't require a large board. For instance, chefs use this board to cut up fruit, vegetables, meats and quickly place it on a plate. Thus, it's a great prep board and can be used as a serving tray.
On some cutting boards, the juice can accidentally spill onto the kitchen counter. But with the Practico Kitchen Bamboo Cutting Board, it has a large drip and juice grove that keeps the liquids on the board. Once they’re there, you can place the liquid residue on the sink and clean the board out.
And, its created from moso bamboo. On average, moso bamboo has a lifespan of 4-6 years before it can be renewed. Since its made from bamboo, its toxin-free and contains anti-bacterial properties.
But, the Practico Kitchen Bamboo Cutting Board has obtained some growing consumer’s concern. For example, they complained that it had too much glue and wood dust on it. If this happens to you, then you’ll have to either scrape off the glue or replace it immediately.
Chefs love the Pratico Kitchen Bamboo Cutting Board because its compact enough to be transported through the kitchen while also durable enough to handle the toughest of knives. Get it today if you want to prep your food faster while also having a serving tray to give food to your friends and family.
What Features To Look Out For
When you're looking for your first cutting board, there are a few features that separate a good one from the bad. Don't worry; we'll help you by discussing the most important features to look for when shopping.
Type Of Material
There are the most common material types that are used when preparing food:
Some people believe that plastic is a better option than wooden and bamboo cutting boards. This is because plastic is the most sanitary and is the only board that can be placed under a dishwasher.
But, a Michigan study concluded that there's more "bacteria is recovered from plastic surfaces than a used wood surface." Also, it concluded that even though a new plastic board can be disinfected, it's almost impossible to clean and disinfect a knife-scarred plastic board.
When you consider that the knife-scarred surface is also getting into your food, getting a plastic board isn't always the best option. We recommend plastic cutting boards for people who need a throwaway cutting board to use for the short term.
Bottom Line: Use plastic if its the last option.
Environmentalists swear by the bamboo cutting board. Since its a hard grass, bamboo is a renewable, sustainable resource that doesn't need chemicals to be used. And because it absorbs fewer liquids, some people believe that they are just as sanitary as using wooden boards.
What’s the downside? Bamboo is 19 harder to use than traditional maple. This means that the surface is harder on your knives. And the small groves might catch to your knives which can interrupt your smooth cutting action.
Bottom Line: Bamboo is a better option than plastic, but you might experience some difficulty cutting smoothly with the board. For those who want an environmentally friendly option, then use bamboo for small chopping and bar jobs. If possible, look for brands that have formaldehyde-free glues.
Wood is renewable, but it takes longer to renew in comparison to bamboo. But, most cutting boards are made from wood (i.e., leftovers that would have been discarded anyway).
In addition, having a heavy wooden board is great for knives, as it allows them to stay sharper for longer. And, maple cutting boards are somewhat self-healing, and they won't scar as fast as a plastic cutting board.
Bottom Line: For experienced chefs, wood is the best cutting board for meat. It allows you to get cut the meat without having bacteria get attached to it. And it can collect the juices with a juice grove, making it easier for you to clean up afterward.
If you’re going to use a wooden cutting board, clean it with food grade mineral oil so that it doesn’t warp or stain. And don’t place your cutting board in the dishwasher. A good wooden cutting board will last for 5+ years.
When it comes to durability, it depends on the type of material that you purchase. For example, if you buy a plastic board, chances are your knives will become damaged after using them for a while. This table thoroughly explains the durability benefits and disadvantages when choosing each cutting board.
Type Of Board
So when you're looking for your cutting board, give it a test run to see if it works with your knives. If it dents easily, chances are it's not durable enough to handle your knife collection. But, if it doesn't create any scars after the first few uses, chances are you have a high-quality board that should can be used for all of your cooking endeavors.
When shopping for your cutting board, you have to see how it’s made. Ask yourself the following questions:
You have to check the design of your cutting board before using it. For instance, while you can opt for a cutting board that doesn’t have a juice groove, it will be harder for you to clean up after your fruits and meats.
There are some cutting board designs that you need to avoid. You don’t want to get cutting boards with steel, stone, or marble designs as they will make it difficult for your knives to cut smoothly. And, their hard surface will make your knives lose its sharpness after a using it frequently.
That’s why we recommend only using wooden, bamboo, and plastic designs. While they all have their disadvantages, they will make sure that you can cut your food without damaging your knives.
How Easy Is It To Maintain?
Maintenance is one often underlooked when getting cutting boards. However, taking care of your cutting board will improve its lifespan making it last longer than usual. That's why it's important that you care for your cutting board to keep it in good condition.
For general maintenance, scrub the cutting board with soap and water after using it. Even if you have a plastic board, you have to wash it off before placing it in the dishwasher.
Bamboo and wooden boards have to be oiled once a week to protect its grain from getting exposed to bacteria. Mineral oil is tasteless, edible, and is a common option when cleaning your cutting board. We suggest that you don’t fully use olive oil as it can become rancid after a while.
When you're drying the board, place one of the ends up, so the moisture doesn't collect under the board. When you take care of your cutting board, you'll find it easier to prep your food while keeping it safe from harmful bacteria and cut scars.
On average, your cutting boards will have a 1 year warranty. If there are any obstructions or noticeable damage on the board, you can send it back to become fixed. When shopping, check to see the warranty policy to ensure that you can be reimbursed when the board is fully used.
While you could get one without a warranty, you're putting yourself at risk. Remember, cutting boards wear down over time, and you'll continue to waste money by buying a new one each time the used one breaks. So, make sure that you get a warranty so that you can continue to use your favorite cutting board and save money in the long run.
The Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board is the best cutting board on this list. This is because it has the strong wooden durability to hold up multiple cutting sessions. And, it's portable enough to be transported around the kitchen without interfering with other cooking accessories.
To conclude, your cutting board is one of the most important accessories in the kitchen. Not only does it help you prepare your food, but it also helps keep your food juices in one location and easily pour it out once you're done.
Do you have any additional questions about cutting boards?
Tell us more in the comments below!