Aerial videography is a beautiful way to get an accurate idea of how a particular terrain looks. Drone technology is often leveraged by construction companies and other industries to get a better idea of a location’s layout, and the positioning of certain roads, buildings, and obstacles so you can effectively plan a new project or overcome obstacles that may be in the way.
If you’re shopping for the best drone for surveying, then your goal should be a device that includes drone mapping software and long battery life. And it better be able to take high-quality videos or images!
In this handy guide, we’re going to take a peek at a few quadcopters that are ideal for drone surveying.
The Best Drone for Surveying
There are quite a few different types of drones available on the market but not all of them will offer survey-grade accuracy. Some drones are designed for fun or to simply learn the basics of flying. Others are especially developed with high-quality cameras so you can take impressive videos of regions or activities.
Surveying drones have downward-facing sensors that photograph the ground several times from different angles. Each image they take is tagged with coordinates.
Then, the drone mapping software processes these different images to produce an accurate map of the area. Neat, huh?
Through these mapping solutions, you can plan your projects or make the most out of each square meter of property. Here’s a quick look at a few good drone solutions for mapping.
Last update on 2021-10-26 PST - Details
1. The DJI FPV Combo Quadcopter
The DJI drone is optimal for anyone who wants to get a good visual idea of their surroundings. It has a powerful 4K camera that can stream directly to a pair of VR goggles so you can see the entire region as you fly your drone. It also comes with a remote that’s FPV compatible.
With a maximum flight time of 20 minutes and various intelligent features that make it easy to use, this little aircraft gets top marks. You can also download drone mapping software and create aerial maps of your surroundings.
- Weight – 20.04 ounces
- Size – 10 x 12.3 x 5 inches
- Camera – 12MP photo and 4K video
- Flight duration – 20 minutes
- Wind Resistance – Level 6
- Recharge time – 5 hours
- Intelligent features – Smart Return, Obstacle Sensing, FPV VR Goggles, Hover
- Max speed – 87.24 mph
- Included – Drone, FPV goggles, remote controller, 4 pairs of propellers, 2x batteries
2. The Autel Robotics EVO 2 Pro Folding Drone
This little quadcopter by Autel Robotics is popular among commercial drone pilots because it offers such a long flying time and you can take up to 6k videos or 20-megapixel photos.
Mapping software and a 9-kilometer transmission range make it possible to create gorgeous maps of a very large area.
We also love that this little device comes with a storage case and various accessories so you can easily take it along on your adventures.
- Weight – 6 pounds
- Size – 7 x 5 x 7 inches
- Camera – Up to 6k videos and 20MP photos
- Flight duration – 40 minutes of flight
- Battery type – Lithium ion battery included
- Intelligent features – Obstacle Avoidance, Mapping, FPV Controller, and other features
- Transmission range – 9 kilometers
- Included – Drone, storage case, two batteries, propellers, storage bag, charging cables, and other accessories
3. The Holy Stone HS720E 4K Eis Drone
The flight duration of this little drone by Holy Stone is truly impressive. It comes with two batteries and each battery offers a flight time of 23 minutes. That means you can really take your time and get quality photographs of your region. The drone is also excellent for videography since it can take 4k videos.
With a transmission range of 3,277 feet and a max flying height of 394 feet, you’ll be able to document a very large area. The drone also includes lots of smart features so you can control it with ease.
- Weight – 17.46 ounces
- Size – 13.3 x 9.5 x 2.3 inches
- TF card size – 128 GB max size (Not included)
- Camera – 4K videos
- Flight duration – 46 minutes max flight time (23 minutes per battery)
- Intelligent features – Altitude Control, Hover, GPS Location, Auto Return, Follow Me, Tap Fly, and Point of Interest
- Transmission range – 3,277 Feet (1,640 feet FPV range)
- Max height – 394 Feet
- Included – Drone, 2x batteries, carry case, 4x extra propellers, USB charging cable, and instruction manual
Did this guide help you find the best drone for surveying? If so, drop us a line.
If you’re on the market for other quality drones, hop on over to some of our other guides. We share a lot of information on different types of drones and we offer pro tips to help you master the wonderful world of flying.