Whether you enjoy shooting as a sport or are a hardcore hunter, you’re probably aware of the importance of selecting the right scope for your rifle. A scope determines how accurately you'll be able to shoot.
This ingenious piece of equipment allows hunters to precisely lock and zoom their targets, ensuring it lands where you want it to make a hit.
However, purchasing the right rifle scope can be challenging decision as many different reputable manufacturers offer many different products, which means that making a purchase will all come down to your personal preference. Rest assured, this guide contains all the information you'll need to make the right decision.
Investing in the right rifle scope is important if you’re a shooter or a hunter in the wilds. To help you make the right purchase, we have compiled a list of some of our favorite products according to different categories. Some of our top picks include:
1. Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20x50 PA - Best Rifle Scope Under 500 $
- The Viper 6. 5-20x50 is built on a 30mm main tube with a hard anodized finish providing a rugged, tough hunting riflescope. Originating from the US Marine Corps, the Mil-Dot reticle is useful for helping to estimate range, wind age and bullet holdover.
- Incorporating our premium, fully multi-coated, extra-low dispersion lenses brings excellent resolution and color fidelity. The XR coatings provide enhanced light gathering capability while Armored coating protects the lenses.
- Capped reset turrets allow quick re-indexing of the turret to zero after sighting in the riflescope. Side knob parallax adjust allows quick and easy parallax adjustments with range numbers visible while in the shooting position.
- The fast focus eyepiece allows for quick and easy reticle focusing while the MAG-Bar allows rapid, easy changes in magnification.
- The Viper 6. 5-20x50 riflescope is ideal for long range, predator/varmint, and target applications. O-ring sealed and argon purged, the Viper provides fog proof and waterproof performance.
Finding a quality scope can be a challenge for a serious marksman or long range hunters who are eager about achieving an accurate target.
Buying an overpriced product isn’t going to solve your problems either as some models fail to produce clear images after a certain magnification value, regardless of how many times you have tried to position your eye optimally.
Fortunately, Vortex Optics Viper is a product that's worth every penny. The moderately expensive scope has many features that allow it to stand out in front of its competitors.
Notable Features Of The Product Include
According to the brand, the rifle scope has been manufactured to perform in moisture and darkness. It can also withstand heavy recoil. The long range and multi-coated optics are an indication that the scope is an excellent choice for folks who wish to take on targets from long distances.
The scope offers excellent light transmission as it utilizes extra-low dispersion glass to improve the resolution and quality. It also features multiple anti-reflective coats to boost light transmission.
These features help display an incredibly clear picture. The rifle scope has a brilliant zoom range of 6.5x to 20x.
2. Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 Waterproof Riflescope - Best Rifle Scope Under 200 $
- A versatile 3:1 zoom ratio erector system that is ideal for virtually any situation.
- 1/4 MOA precision finger click adjustments for windage and elevation offer absolute repeatability and dependability over a lifetime of extreme use.
- Absolute waterproof and fog proof integrity - each is ready for a lifetime in the field, in all conditions.
- The Multicoat 4 lens system delivers extreme clarity from edge to edge of the visual field, outstanding contrast, and a bright sight picture even in extreme low-light conditions.
- Made with Leupold's Proprietary nitrogen sealing process, which has become the industry standard. Rugged and absolutely waterproof.
Over the years, Leupold has manufactured some of the best riflescopes in the market. This particular model is an excellent entry-level rifle scope for beginners who want to practice their shooting. It is also a fine choice for beginners thanks to its excellent price tag and quality.
The scope has many features that allow it stand head to head with some of the pricier models. Some cool features include quality glass, highly functional eye-box, rock-solid warranty, and multi-coat four lenses.
Notable Features Of The Product Include
The Leupold VX-1 has undergone nitrogen treatment. Every Leupold scope undergoes this treatment, where the manufacturer replaces oxygen with nitrogen. This practice ensures water cannot enter inside the body. Some high-end rifle scopes feature treatment with argon or a combination of other gases for better waterproofing.
Leupold realizes that glare can be a hunter's worst nightmare since it can prevent you from shooting certain areas or optimal angles.
Fortunately, this particular model features multi-coat four protection, which makes using a riflescope much easier since the rifle scope improves usable light and removed glare, making it easier for hunters to find targets even when it's dark.
Furthermore, the elevation adjustment makes it possible for hunters to aim their guns at lower or higher elevations.
3. Nikon P-223 3-9×40 Riflescope
- Generous, Consistent Eye Relief-Keeps your brow safe-even with the heaviest recoiling cartridges, lightweight rifles, and severe shooting angles.
- BDC 600 Reticle-Developed specifically for the trajectory of the .223 Rem /5.56 NATO round with 55-grain polymer tip bullet, the BDC 600 reticle offers shooters unique open circle aiming points and hash marks from 100 to 600 yards.
- Precise, 1/4-MOA Hand-turn Tactical-Style, Zero-Reset Turrets-Positive click reticle adjustments get you zeroed in quicker and maintain your setting-even withrepeated recoil.
- 100-yard Parallax Setting-Eliminates parallax for precise shooting.
- Waterproof/Fogproof-Nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed
The Nikon P-223 3-9×40 is moderately priced rifle scope that offers professional grade features. The model features Nikon's signature reticle that is capable of aiming 100-yard increments. You can use the rifle scope to shoot moderately long ranges.
Whether you are shooting targets at a range or are on a hunt, the riflescope features a highly efficient multi-coated system. The scope also offers about 98% light transmission that is a pretty great deal if you look that the rifle scope's price range.
It also has many supplementary aiming points that compensate for the bullet's trajectory. Shooters will find that the aiming points are optimal for this purpose.
Notable Features Of The Product Include
The riflescope features a 55-grain polymer tip that results in a more streamlined aiming process. This particular model includes a special Nikon's Spot-On program that allows its customers with accurate field adjustments.
It works by paying attention to factors such as ammunition caliber, target range, bore distance and so on, which is a particularly useful feature for folks who want to make the best out of their first shot count. You can also record or input all your factors using the Spot On app.
This way, you'll be able to line the most accurate shot without any problems. Best of all, for an accurate picture, this particular model features variable zoom that ensures enough magnification if you want to see your target from afar.
4. UTG 3-9X32 1" BugBuster Scope
- BEWARE OF COUNTERFEIT PRODUCTS SHIPPED DIRECTLY FROM CHINA
- 1 Inch Tube with Emerald Coating for Maximum Light Transmission, Premium Zero Lockable & Resettable Turrets with 1/4 MOA Per Click Adjustment
- Range Estimating Mil-dot Reticle for Optimal Aiming and Shooting Performance, Adjustable Objective from 3 Yards to Infinity
- Red/Green Dual Illumination for Versatile Applications, Large Field of View and Most Accommodating Eye Relief for Optimum Critical CQB Mission
- Complete with 2" Sunshade, High Quality Flip-open Lens Caps and Quick-detachable Rings
The BugBuster Scope is a one of a kind rifle that can prove to be a great investment during difficult times. Known for its durability and sturdy construction, the UTG 3-9×32 is certainly one of the most reasonably priced and quality products in the market.
It includes a special True Strength Platform that features a small spherical structure that affects the interaction between the scope’s outer and inner tubes. It features a unique design that guarantees dependability and precise elevation adjustment.
Notable Features Of The Product Include
This particular model has been constructed to withstand shocks and function in various weather conditions. So, you can rely on the BugBuster Scope even if it is raining outside or there is poor visibility due to foggy weather conditions.
It also features an innovative EZ-TAP illumination system that provides users convenient and easy access to color change.
Additionally, the side wheel adjustment offers users a convenient way to switch between colors. UTG has also paid attention to the overall design of the tool, ensuring it is both reliable and durable, which allows folks to make precise elevation and windage adjustments without a problem.
Its resettable Turrets are of exceptional quality and can be locked as well. Shooters can thus make precise and crisp elevation adjustments according to their convenience.
5. ATN X-Sight II 5-20 Smart Riflescope - Best Night Vision Rifle Scope
- Use Day & Night in HD resolution - our HD technology gives you crystal clear vision whenever required
- Zero range: 100 yard. Day & Night Vision in Millions of Colors - best hunting optic that fits the situation at hand.Field of View at 1000 yards- 240 feet
- Ballistic Calculator - shifts Point of Impact on the fly letting you quickly calculate ballistics for any shooter's needs. Easily determine exact ballistics for expert long-range and angled shots
- Smart Range Finder - identifies the range to your target with two clicks. Once distance is determined automatically adjusts your Point of Impact.5-20 Magnification - Smooth Zoom offers fine tune adjustments for your perfect magnification every time
- 1080p HD Video Recording & Photos, Recoil Activated Video (RAV) and Wi-Fi Streaming - allow you to record all of your hunting trips, using your phone / tablet as a viewfinder. Firmware upgradeable
The ATN X-Sight II 5-20 Smart Riflescope is one of the most reputable and powerful shooting solutions in the market, which provides shooters the opportunity to shoot distant targets with ease and superior precision.
Its high-end model comes loaded with some excellent features such as e-compass, Wi-Fi, smart range finder, 5-20X Magnification and smartphone control.
Perhaps the most useful feature is the Recoil Activated Video (RAV) function that separates this rifle scope from other models in the market. Thanks to this function, you will no longer have to worry about pressing the record button every time you need to make a shot.
Notable Features Of The Product Include
The scope will automatically record videos (whether it’s day or night time) before and after you’ve pulled the trigger.
Its zoom feature allows hunters to get an incredibly close shot of their target, making the ATN X-Sight II 5-20 Smart Riflescope one of the best hunting rifle scopes on the market. Thanks to this feature, you can easily spot game from afar.
You cannot use certain riflescopes during nighttime or when it's incredibly foggy outside. Fortunately, thanks to the ATN X-Sight II 5-20, you don’t have to worry about such problems. The scope is powered using Obsidian II Core that results in brilliant night vision technology.
This technology enables shooters to use the rifle scope whether it is day or nighttime.
The device features an ATN’s Smart Range Finder that ensures shooters can keep a sharp eye on their target. You can conveniently adjust your target using only two clicks. This feature will increase your likelihood of getting an excellent shot.
Why Should You Choose Your Rifle Scope Carefully
Wondering why you should go through all this trouble to invest in the best rifle scope? Here are a few important reasons why:
Factors To Consider When Choosing Your Rifle Scope
Investing in the best rifle scope is important if you want to improve your performance on the field. To ensure you have made the right choice, we have compiled a list of some of the most important factors you should consider. The most important include:
Types Of Scopes
There are many different types of rifle scopes you can select. The main types fall into three major categories. However, it is essential you understand the pros and cons of each type before making a purchase. Here's a brief guide that will help you learn more about rifle scope:
Do you plan on using the rifle scope for hunting or for shooting contests? Consider what you will be using the scope for before making a purchase. Specialized hunter riflescopes are designed to improve accuracy when you out hunting in the woods. Similarly, you will also find other types of rifle scopes for other purposes.
High magnification won’t do you any good if all you can see is a blurred image. Poor image quality is likely to result in missed shots. Ensure the rifle scope you are investing in offers excellent image quality. Ensure the optic is capable enough to reflect light so that you can benefit from better and clearer resolution.
The bigger the lens is, the more light can enter inside the scope. Your best bets are to invest in a rifle scope with a large lens to ensure high-image quality.
Magnification is among the most important factors to consider when purchasing a rifle scope since magnification is a measure of how larger or visibly close the object appearsthrough your lens as compared to the naked eye. For example, a 10x magnification will cause the target to appear ten times closer.
Riflescopes may either have variable or fixed magnification. Variable magnification allows shooters to adjust the setting according to their convenience.
However, for better results, we suggest you start off with a lower setting if you’re using variable magnification scope. Starting off with high magnification will cut down the amount of light entering inside the scope and can also narrow your field of view.
This setting helps users focus on distant targets without worrying about obstructed vision. Parallax adjustments are essential if you plan on shooting ranges that are in between 100 to 150 meters, especially if you are using a scope with a magnification that is higher than 10x.
A higher magnification can cause inaccuracy and increases the chances of errors. These adjustments are on the rifle's scope objective. The only downside is that some models tend to be more expensive and easier to handle.
Objective Lens Diameter
This feature determines the amount of light entering inside the scope. It also determines how easily and effectively the light is transmitted towards the ocular. Hence, the greater the diameter, the more light will enter inside the scope. This feature is an excellent choice if you are hunting or shooting in dimly lit or gloomy conditions.
The diameter size can range from 32mm to as high as 50mm. However, rifle scopes with larger objective lens diameter tend to be bulkier. So, the best option is that you opt for a scope with the largest object diameter you can find. Just make sure you can manage the rifle's weight easily.
Light transmission refers to how bright and clear the image of the target appears through the scope. Most high-end models include a light transmission rating of 95%.
Most good exceptional quality scopes are coated using synthetic materials to reduce glare. For better results, we suggest you invest in products that are multi-coated instead of fully coated.
Fully coated scopes are only coated once and are thus known to cut down light transmission. The better the light transmission, the more often you can use the rifle scope for hunting session.
The reticle allows users to aim the rifle at a particular spot. Reticles are available in an increasing number of styles, so it's up to your personal preference when opting for a particular type. This function also helps the shooter estimate the range/distance and wind range. The crosshair is the most traditional or conventional type of reticle found inside rifle scopes.
Turret adjustment is an absolute necessity for accurate targeting, especially if you are taking part in a shooting contest. Larger turrets help adjust the crosshairs inside the scope. You will find the turret housing positioned in the middle of the tube.
Most rifle scopes on the market are constructed using MOA turrets, (Minutes of Angle), which is the most dependable turret for shooting applications. However, we suggest you opt for 1/8 MOA turrets if you want to benefit from precise adjustments
The above mention rifle scopes are among the best in the market. If you want to learn more about these products, check out their Amazon page or don’t hesitate to ask us in the comment section below.
Buying the best rifle scope can save you a lot of time and effort on the field. Hopefully, this detailed guide has provided you with enough information to make the best choice. Good luck!