- THE PERFECT KAYAK FOR OUTDOOR FUN: Our Brooklyn Kayak Company BKC PK13 kayak was created to cruise. Bicycle style pedals turn a high efficiency propeller, allowing you to tuck your paddle into the paddle keeper and go hands-free. The hand operated rudder controls will keep you tracking while underway and enhance your steering capabilities, allowing you to make sharp and quick turns.
- FULLY LOADED ACCESSORIES: Our kayak comes equipped with an ergonomic aluminum frame seat, adjustable aluminum paddle, 2 water resistant hatches, 3 built in rod holders, 1 paddle park, and 1 bungee cargo tie down. We have all the accessories you need for your next excursion.
- PEDAL DRIVE SYSTEM: Get your kayak moving faster than ever with or without a paddle using the included pedal-driven propeller system and hand operated rudder. Stop on a dime or go in reverse by just pedaling backwards. With an optional trolling motor upgrade, you can customize for even more effortless cruising.
- CRAFTED FOR STABILITY: Our Roto Molded single Piece High density polyethylene material is superior to inflatable kayaks and a capable craft on ocean, lake, or river, while supporting up to 550 lbs. It rides currents, slices through chop, and glides over still water with effortless grace.
- EXCEPTIONAL FISHING FEATURES: 3 flush-mount rod holders will keep multiple baited lines in the water at once or just keep the rods out of your way during paddling or pedaling. The front cover storage with bungee tie down can double as an ice chest and has a drain hole with plug. Whatever your preference, convenience is always an option.
Last update on 2021-10-19 PST - Details
Kayaking can bring great joy in life. It’s something one can do for fishing, for adventurous boating, or just for drifting down a lazy river on a sunny day. Having a good, sturdy, reliable kayak is a must, and there are many choices available on the market with hundreds of options.
This article will be an overview of one excellent choice - the Brooklyn Kayak Company’s UH PK-13 Pedal Drive 13-foot Kayak. The PK-13 is loaded with useful features and is known for its stability on the water.
What We Like
The pedal drive system is made of durable abs plastic with components crafted of stainless steel. The drive, which consists of a matched pair of pedals attached to a single propeller, allows for a great deal of control over the speed of the kayak. With enough leg power this model can cut through the water almost like a speedboat; or, for trolling-style fishing, it allows the user to move as slowly as they choose, or only move forward at intervals. This system is highly sensitive to the user’s legs and the energy being put out.
The sleek design, generous cargo capacity, and comfortable, ergonomic seat make this an excellent kayak for long trips. This would be a wonderful choice for those who intend to spend a day or even a weekend fishing. The seat stays comfortable even through long hours, and it allows a user to bring along everything necessary for a lengthy stay on the water.
Stability is a major feature of this kayak. The design allows for almost complete stability in calm waters, and relative stability under all water conditions. This model is also stable without being bulky and rigid; its maneuverability is considerable and is relatively easy to pilot.
The cargo area is truly useful. Not only can it hold a large pack or case, but it can also hold smaller items as well such as a cooler or tackle box; in addition, the waterproof hatches have bag inserts that doubly ensure that precious cargo remains dry and untouched by the elements. These features make this an ideal model for adventurers who enjoy taking lengthy sojourns on the water, or for fishermen who have a lot of gear to bring along.
What We Don’t Like
Many fishermen employ a fish-finding transducer to make it easier to find the more heavily populated areas of the water. Unfortunately, the PK-13 does not have the dedicated scupper hole needed to facilitate the use of a transducer. There may be future models that have the required scupper hole, but the PK series does not. Still, this is a minor point in light of the PK-13’s many fine features.
The Brooklyn Kayak Company tends to make serious models for serious kayaking aficionados. While it is not priced out of the market, the PK-13 goes for a substantial price and is large enough to make it a better choice for those who are experienced enthusiasts; it would not be recommended for those who are just getting into kayaking, or those who see it as a casual hobby they wish to spend little money investigating. At 13 feet, its size is also imposing and would take a considerable amount of storage space.
The pedal drive system, while capable of great subtlety and variation, has its limitations when it comes to obstacles. The installed guard that protects the propeller system has a tendency to bring the boat and its operator to an abrupt halt when coming up against obstacles; however, this is not at all unusual when it comes to pedal-drive kayaks or small craft in general.
Because of this model’s size, it can be difficult to turn the kayak around. It is possible but involves a good deal of leaning and shifting one’s weight in order to take in the correct direction. But for a kayak of this size, it is to be expected that turning will be a slow and laborious process.
If the buyer is looking for color options, it may be a good idea to shop around. Some online stores sell this kayak in only one color, camouflage green being a popular option; others, however, offer it also in blue camo, grey camo, blue, red, and yellow.
It is equally affordable to buy this kayak in a brick-and-mortar store or online. As with many large items, shipping is free for this kayak in many different online stores. Considering its size, buying online with free shipping may be the best option for this particular item.
Pricing is competitive for this kayak. Many online stores offer this model for very similar prices with perhaps $20 in variation one way or another. Therefore, it is not necessary to look very far to find this kayak for a fair price.
Having a membership with an online shopping club or site may help to get a discount when buying this kayak.
For the long-distance boater, serious fisherman, or anyone wanting the best possible kayak to spend a day on the water with, the Brooklyn Kayak Company’s UH PK-13 Pedal Drive Traveler is one of the best choices available on the modern kayak market.
It is solidly built, easily controlled, maneuverable, and absolutely reliable. The rod holder attachments make fishing from this model a snap and a true pleasure, and the seat guarantees back support, comfort, convenience, and adjustability.
The other perks such as extensive storage with bungee straps as well as watertight bags and hatches, the option to add a trolling motor, and comfort and stability on the water even when standing help to make the UH PK-13 an experienced kayaking enthusiast’s delight.